General Requirements for Admission to the M.S. and Ph.D. Graduate Programs
Admission to the UCLA Electrical Engineering graduate program is quite competitive. Recently admitted applicants have had a median grade point average of 3.8/4.0 (87.89/100, 9.22/10, and 17.69/20), while their Graduate Record Examination scores on the Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical sections have averaged 541, 770, and 3.83, respectively.
Applications for admission are invited from graduates of recognized colleges and universities worldwide. Selection is based on promise of success in graduate studies and research, which is judged largely on the student's previous college record, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation.
Entering students normally are expected to have completed the B.S. degree requirements with at least a 3.0 grade-point average in all coursework taken in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study. Students entering the Ph.D. program are expected to have completed the requirements for the master's degree with at least a 3.5 grade-point average, and to have demonstrated creative ability. Normally the M.S. degree is required for admission to the Ph.D. program. Exceptional students, however, can be admitted to the Ph.D. program without having an M.S. degree but would be required to complete the M.S. degree along the way.
Important. Applicants with existing MS or PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering or closely related areas will not be admitted for a duplicate degree at the same level. Furthermore, after entering the program, no change in degree objective will be approved that would result in granting of a duplicate degree at a level for which a student has an existing degree in Electrical Engineering or closely related areas.
Important. Department Policy on Admission Deferment.
- September 1: EARLIEST date to apply for acceptance to the UCLA Electrical Engineering Graduate Studies Program for the next academic year. The UCLA Electrical Engineering Department accepts applications for the Fall Quarter only.
- November 1: Recommended LATEST date to take the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) for students wishing to be considered for the next academic year, since the GRE scores must be forwarded to the Department by the Educational Testing Service no later than December 15.
- December 15: LATEST date to submit an application for the next academic year.
- December 15: Also the LATEST date to apply for any of the Graduate Division Fellowships (which is done via the online application process) for the next academic year.
- January 15: The deadline for the EE Department Office of Student Affairs to receive any supporting material (test scores, letters of recommendation, etc.) for admissions consideration.