UCLA IEEE is the IEEE Outstanding Large Student Branch in Southern Area
UCLA IEEE student organization has been selected by IEEE to receive the Outstanding Large Student Branch for the Southern Area. The 2013 Southern Area awards will be held in conjunction with the Fall Area Meeting in September.
The UCLA IEEE outgoing chair, Calvin Cam gives a recap for the academic year 2012-2013:
Another successful year has ended for UCLA IEEE! UCLA IEEE would like to thank their sponsors, which included the UCLA Electrical Engineering Department, for believing in and funding what UCLA IEEE represents. Not only that, but UCLA IEEE would like to recognize important figures, Dr. Ethan Wang, Dr. Mike Briggs, and Dr. Bill Goodin, for their guidance and support. Lastly, thanks to all the members who participate in events and projects; without them, there would be no UCLA IEEE.
With support from those listed and more, UCLA IEEE has been able to accomplish so much to be recognized within UCLA as well as around the world. Please read the compilation below for all of UCLA IEEE’s accomplishments:
· UCLA IEEE hosted a successful Student Professional Ventures (S-PAVe) conference for over 70 participants with company representatives from Little Black Bag, Walt Disney Imagineering, Raytheon, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin.
· UCLA IEEE hosted its 4th Annual Ethics Competition and won 1st place for the second consecutive time. UCI and UCSD also competed.
· UCLA IEEE hosted a total of 125 events (not including weekly officer meetings and project meetings) throughout the year. Events included were company infosessions, tech talks, professional development workshops, general meetings, Professor lectures, soldering workshops, tutorials, socials, K-12 outreach, and more.
o UCLA Engineering Student Group of Year Award
o IEEE Region 6 Outstanding Large Student Branch Award
· Still-pending awards
o IEEE Global Student Branch Web Site Contest
o IEEE Regional Exemplary Student Branch Award
Stay updated with our awards at: http://ieee.ucla.edu/alpha/index.php/about/ieee-awards
o UCLA IEEE appreciates the support from all their sponsors.
o Check them out or become one at: http://ieee.ucla.edu/alpha/index.php/sponsors
Learn More at: http://ieee.ucla.edu
· At the ViaCar Competition in UCSD, UCLA teams Leslie, DHiZeL, and UpDog respectively placed 1st, 2nd, and 4th. There were 14 teams from UCLA, UCSD, UCSB competing.
· At the NatCar Competition in UCD, UCLA teams took 5 of the first 8 places. There were 25 teams from UCLA, UCB, UCD, UCSD, CSUF competing.
· UCLA IEEE hosted the first UCLA NatCar Competition on May 25. Team Dantastic from UCLA took 1st place with a tremendous run of 9.9 ft/sec. CSUF also competed.
· At the California MicroMouse competition in UCSD, UCLA team Green Giant took 1st place with an 8 second run. UCLA, UCSD, UCR, KSU, UNLV were competing.
· UCLA IEEE hosted the first All-America Micromouse Competition on 5/26. Team Green Giant V2.2 from UCLA took 1st place with a tremendous run of 6.55 seconds. A total of 10 teams from UCLA, UCSD, CSULA, and UCR competed.
Open Project Space (OPS)
· With new lab space, OPS was able to expand from 50 students to 100 students this year.
· “Lighting Up UCLA display” and the “LED Tilt sensor” were two completely free and open to public mini projects for this program this year (first come first serve basis).
· EAGLE tutorials were also provided to members.
MakerBot Replicator Dual Extruder 3D Printer
· With student contributions and funding support from Professor Briggs and the UCLA High Frequency Electronics Lab, UCLA IEEE was able to purchase a 3D printer for project usage.
· UCLA IEEE’s 3D printing services are also available for non-IEEE project usage for a small fee.
· Stay updated with cool 3D printing events at: http://ieee.ucla.edu/alpha/index.php/ieee-lab/3d-printer-recognition
Please learn more at: http://ieee.ucla.edu/alpha/index.php/projects
Thank you outgoing officers for a wonderful service to your engineering student body and welcome incoming officers; we look forward to the upcoming academic year!
Chair – Calvin Cam
External Vice Chair – Emily Cheung
Internal Vice Chair – My-Quan Hong
Treasurer – Jack Lei
Publicity Chair – Harsh Barbhaiya
Events Coordinator – Ian Chen
Mentorship Chair – Steven Weiss
HKN Liaison – Brian Hong
MicroMouse CoLead – Hui Wang
OPS Lead – Nathan Lai
Chair – Jingtao Xia
External Vice Chair – Ahmed Hassan
Internal Vice Chair – Derek Meng
Treasurer – Albert Chen
Secretary – Justin Pao
Corporate Relations – Keyur Lad
Events Coordinator – Hannah Chou
Events Coordinator – Alyssa Luo
Publicity Chair – Lonnie Zhang
Mentorship Chair – Jiawen Feng
Webmaster – Chie Tamada
Projects Manager – Julian Brown
MicroMouse CoLead – Justin Young
MicroMouse CoLead – Danny Li
NatCar CoLead – Alex Cheng
NatCar CoLead – Jeffrey Hwang
OPS CoLead – Shubham Gandhi
OPS CoLead – Kamal Kajouke
C3 CoLead – Jacob SharfC3 CoLead – Tania DePasquale