Balakrishnan, A. V.
A. V. Balakrishnan, Distinguished Professor
Bellman Award, 2001
Life Fellow, IEEE, 1996
Office: 56-147F Engr. IV, Phone: 310.825.2180,Email
A.V. Balakrishnan earned his M.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering and his Ph.D. in Mathematics from the University of Southern California in 1950 and 1954, respectively.
Prof. Balakrishnan has been with the University of California, Los Angeles, since 1961; he has been a Professor of Engineering since 1962 and a Professor of Mathematics since 1965. He was Chair of the Department of Systems Science in the (then) School of Engineering from 1969-1975.
Laser beam distortion in atmospheric turbulence, control design for smart structures, and fl ight systems applications of adaptive control, nonlinear aeroelasticity, and wind power.
- 2004 Doctor Honoris Causa, West University of Timisoara
- 2001 Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award
- 1996 NASA Public Service Medal
- 1992 Honorary Superior Accomplishment Award from the NASA Langley Research Center
- 1986 Group Achievement Award from the NASA Langley Flight Research Center
- 1980 Gullemin Prize from MIT
- 1978 Certification of Recognition from NASA
- 1977 Silver Core Award, Int. Federation of Information Processing
- 1996 IEEE Life Fellow
- A. V. Balakrishnan, Introduction to Random Processes in Engineering, Wiley, NY, 1995.