Majid Sarrafzadeh, Distinguished Professor
Fellow, IEEE, 1996Personal Website: Link
Office: 3532C Boelter Hall, Phone: 310.794.4303, Email
Majid Sarrafzadeh received his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in 1982, 1984, and 1987 respectively from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Electrical and Computer Engineering. He joined Northwestern University as an Assistant Professor in 1987. In 2000, he joined the Computer Science Department at University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). His recent research interests lie in the area of Embedded and Reconfigurable Computing, VLSI CAD, and design and analysis of algorithms. Dr. Sarrafzadeh is a Fellow of IEEE for his contribution to "Theory and Practice of VLSI Design". He has served on the technical program committee of numerous conferences in the area of VLSI Design and CAD, including ICCAD, DAC, EDAC, ISPD, FPGA, and DesignCon. He has served as committee chairs of a number of these conferences. He is on the executive committee/steering committee of several conferences such as ICCAD, ISPD, and ISQED. He was the program committee and the general chair of ICCAD in 2004 and 2005 – the premiere conference in CAD.
Professor Sarrafzadeh has published approximately 350 papers, co-authored 5 books, and is a named inventor on 6 US patents. Dr. Sarrafzadeh is an Associate Editor of ACM Transaction on Design Automation (TODAES) and an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Computers and a number of other journals.
Dr. Sarrafzadeh has collaborated with many industries in the past fifteen years including IBM and Motorola and many CAD industries and was the architect of the physical design subsystem of Monterey Design Systems – Synopsys acquired the company. He was a co-founder of Hier Design, Inc. Hier Design was acquired by Xilinx in 2004.
Embedded systems, health analytics, biomedical systems, and algorithm design
Awards and Recognitions
- 1996 Fellow, IEEE
- R. Kastner, A. Kaplan, and M. Sarrafzadeh, Synthesis, Reconfigurable Systems, Kluwer, 2003.
- M. Srivastava, J. Sobaje, M. Potkonjak and M. Sarrafzadeh, Optimal Node Scheduling for Effective Energy Usage in Sensor Networks, Kluwer, 2002.
- M. Sarrafzadeh, M. Wang and X. Yang, Modern Standard-Cell Placement Techniques, Kluwer, 2002.
- M. Sarrafzadeh and C. K. Wong, An Introduction to VLSI Physical Design, McGraw Hill, 1996.
- M. Sarrafzadeh and D. T. Lee, editors, Algorithmic Aspects of VLSI Layout, World Scientific, 1993.