Stanley Osher, Professor
American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2010
National Academy of Science, 2005
Personal Website: Link
Office: 7617F Math Sciences, Phone: 310.825.7158, Email
Stan Osher is a Professor of Mathematics with a joint appointment in Electrical Engineering. He received his B.S. degree from Brooklyn College in 1962 and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from New York University in 1964 and 1966, respectively. His resaerch has received numerous awards and recognitions.
Professor Osher's research consists of developing innovative numerical methods to solve partial differential equations, especially those whose solutions have steep gradients, analysis of these algorithms and the underlying P.D.E.'s and applications to various areas of Engineering, Physics and recently, image processing.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2007 USACM Computational and Applied Sciences Award
- 2006 Docteur Honoris Causa from ENS Cachan, France
- 2005 National Academy of Sciences
- SIAM Kleinman Prize
- 2003 ICIAM Pioneer Prize
- 2002 Computational Mechanics Award, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers
- S. Osher and N. Paragios, Geometric Level Set Methods in Imaging, Vision and Graphics. Springer-Verlag, NY, 2003.
- S. Osher and R. Fedkiw, Level Set Methods and Dynamic Implicit Surfaces, Springer-Verlag, NY, 2002.