- (May 2012) Chao Wang attended the 2012 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) held on May 6-11 at San Jose, CA, where he gave an oral presentation on his recent original work on dispersive Fourier transformation at 800-nm spectral range.
- (March 2012) Chao Wang made an oral presentation on all-optical passive sawtooth filter at 2012 OFC/OFNEC conference held on March 4-8 at Los Angeles, CA.
- (December 2011) Chao Wang's work on Jammed-array wideband sawtooth (JAWS) filter has been featured in LaserFocusWorld: "FABRY-PEROT ETALONS: JAWS filter generates sawtooth spectrum".
- (October 2011) Chao Wang went back to the Univerity of Ottawa to attend 2011 Convocation Ceremony held at National Art Centre, Ottawa, Canada.
- (October 2011) Chao Wang attended 2011 IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP) held on October 18-21 at Singapore, where he made an oral presentation on his recent original work on photonic microwave filter design using a fiber Bragg grating device.
- (September 2011) Chao Wang attended 2011 International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (IWSHM) held on September 13-15 at Stanford University.
- (April 2011) Chao Wang receives a Dean's Scholarship from the University of Ottawa.
- (Feburary 2011) Chao Wang joins the Photonics Laboratory directed by Prof. Bahram Jalali at UCLA as an NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow.
- (January 2011) Chao Wang gives an invited talk entitled "Photonic generation and processing of microwave arbitrary waveforms using advanced fiber Bragg gratings" in IEEE Ottawa MTT/AP/EMC Joint Chapter Technical Seminar.
- (December 2010) Chao Wang successfully defended his PhD thesis entitled "Photonic generation and processing of microwave arbitrary waveforms based on advanced fiber Bragg gratings" on 15 December 2010. His thesis was nominated by the defense committee for best thesis award. His thesis can be viewed here.
- (November 2010) Chao Wang gives two invited talks entitled "Microwave photonic applications of fiber Bragg gratings: photonic generation and processing of arbitrary microwave waveforms" in Optics and Quantum Electronics group at MIT, and in Photonics Laboratory at UCLA.
- (October 2010) Chao Wang attended the 2010 IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP 2010), held on Oct. 5-9, 2010 in Montreal, Canada. He was one of the six invited speakers in a workshop on Photonic Radio-Frequency Arbitrary Waveform Generation at the conference. He also gave an oral presentation on his recent work on ultrashort optical pulse characterization, which earned him the Best Student Paper Award (2nd place) at the conference.
- (June 2010) Chao Wang receives a CIPI-S (Canadian Institute for Photonic Innovations) Graduate Travel Award to support his participation in 2010 OSA Bragg Gratings, Photosensitivity and Poling in Glass Waveguides (BGPP) Topical Meeting to be held on June 21-24, 2010 in Karlsruhe, Germany, where he will make an oral presentation on his recent original work on ultrafast fiber grating sensor interrogation.
- (April 2010) Chao Wang was recently selected by the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) Education Committee to receive a prestigious 2010 MTT-S Graduate Fellowship Award ($6,000). Every year, up to eight fellowships from around the world will be awarded. He also receives a complimentary registration and travel reimbursement to accept his fellowship at the IEEE/MTT-S 2010 International Microwave Symposium, which will be held on 23-28 May 2010 in Anaheim, California, USA.
- (March 2010) Chao Wang was recently awarded an NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship. The NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) Program provides support to a core of the most promising researchers at a pivotal time in their careers. The fellowship supports his postdoctoral research in photonics worldwide for two years.
- (February 2010) Chao Wang receives a second-prize poster presentation award at the annually Research Day Poster Competition organized by the Faculty of Engineering, University of Ottawa.
- (September 2009) Chao Wang wins the "2009 IEEE Photonics Society Ottawa Chapter Annual Student Paper Competition Prize" for his paper "Simultaneous optical spectral shaping and wavelength-to-time mapping for photonic microwave arbitrary waveform generation" published at IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, June 2009.
- (August 2009) Chao Wang joined Optical Society of America (OSA) as a graduate student member.
- (July 2009) Chao Wang has recently been selected by the IEEE Photonics Society Membership Committee to receive a prestigious 2009 IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship ($5,000). Every year, up to twelve fellowships from around the world will be awarded. He also receives an IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Travel Grant ($2,500) to accept his Fellowship at the 2009 IEEE Photonics Society Annual Meeting, which will be held on 4 - 8 October 2009 in Belek-Antalya, Turkey.
- (May 2009) Chao Wang was awarded an University of Ottawa National Excellence Scholarship.
- (May 2009) Chao Wang was awarded a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS), at the value of $50,000 per year for a maximum of three years, is the most important, prestigious and sought-after scholarships for doctoral students. A total of 166 scholarships were awarded in 2009. These scholarships are awarded to the world’s leading doctoral students hailing from across Canada and abroad. Chao Wang is one of the three Chinese recipients and one of the five award recipients in the University of Ottawa. See uOttawa news, and Gazette news.
- (May 2009) Chao Wang receives a national scholarship ($5,000) from the China Scholarship Council. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding self-financed students studying abroad. The scholarship reception ceremony was held 23 May 2008 at Chinese Embassy in Canada. See Chinese News.
- (May 2009) Chao Wang gives an invited talk entitled "Microwave and millimeter-wave arbitrary waveform generation and processing using fiber-optics-based techniques," in the Institute of Modern Optics at Nankai University, Tianjin, China.
- (April 2009) Chao Wang receives a student travel grant from the University of Ottawa to attend the 2009 Asia-Pacific Microwave Photonics Conference, held on 22-24 April 2009 in Beijing, China. He presented two paper at the conference and received the Best Student Paper Award.
- (November 2008) Chao Wang receives a student travel grant from the Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) to present an invited talk at the 2008 IEEE/LEOS Annual Meeting, held on November 9-13, 2008 in Newport Beach, CA, USA.
- (May 2008) Chao Wang is awarded an University of Ottawa Excellence Scholarship.
- (April 2008) Chao Wang, as an international student, was awarded an 2008 Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS). The OGS scholarship is valued at $15,000 per year. Each year, only 60 international students, out of total 2000 recipients, are granted this scholarship.
- (April 2008) Chao Wang is selected by the SPIE Board of Directors and the Scholarship Committee to receive an SPIE Scholarship in Optical Science & Engineering ($2500). As one of the recipients of the 2008 SPIE Scholarships, the organization recognizes Mr. Wang as a future leader of photonics in Canada, and in the World in general. See News Release.
- (January 2008) Chao Wang joins theIEEE Photonics Society and the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society as a graduate student member.
- (December 2007) Chao Wang successfully passed the comprehensive examination for his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering.
- (April 2007) Chao Wang joins International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) as a graduate student member.
- (December 2006) Chao Wang finished all the six graduate courses required for his PhD degree at the University of Ottawa with a GPA of 9.5/10.0.
- (January 2006) Chao Wang joined the Microwave photonics Research Laboratory directed by Prof. Jianping Yao, at the University of Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) as a PhD student.