Research and Teaching Interests:
Terahertz and mid-infrared quantum cascade lasers and photonic devices, low-dimensional semiconductor materials and intersubband physics, terahertz and infrared plasmonics, waveguides, antennas
|Awards and Recognitions|
|2013||IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology Best Paper Award for paper: “Radiation Model for Terahertz Transmission-Line Metamaterial Quantum-Cascade Lasers” (http://www.mtt.org/thz-best-paper-award.html)|
- B. A. Burnett and B. S. Williams, “Density matrix model for polarons in a terahertz quantum dot cascade laser,” Phys. Rev. B, vol 90, 155309, 2014.
- A. A. Tavallaee, P. W. C. Hon, Q.-S. Chen, T. Itoh, and B. S. Williams, “Active terahertz quantum-cascade composite right/left-handed metamaterial,” Applied Physics Letters vol 102, 021103, January 14 2013.
- P. W. C. Hon, Z. Liu, T. Itoh, and B. S. Williams, “Leaky and bound modes in terahertz metasurfaces made of transmission-line metamaterials,” Journal of Applied Physics vol 113, 033105, January 18 2013.
- P. W. C. Hon, A. A. Tavallaee, Q.-S. Chen, B. S. Williams, and T. Itoh, “Radiation Model for Terahertz Transmission-Line Metamaterial Quantum-Cascade Lasers,” IEEE Trans. Terahertz Science and Technology vol. 2, no 3, pp. 323-332, May 2012. Winner of 2013 IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology Best Paper Award.
- Benjamin S. Williams, “Terahertz quantum cascade lasers.” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, September 2007, pp. 517-525. (review article)
- B. S. Williams, S. Kumar, Q. Hu and J. L. Reno, “High-power terahertz quantum-cascade lasers.” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 2, 19 January 2006, pp. 89-90.
- B. S. Williams, S. Kumar, H. Callebaut, Q. Hu and J. L. Reno, “Terahertz quantum-cascade laser at 100 m using metal waveguide for mode confinement.” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 11, 15 Sept. 2003, pp. 2124-6.
- B. S. Williams, H. Callebaut, S. Kumar, Q. Hu and J. L. Reno, “3.4-THz quantum cascade laser based on longitudinal-optical-phonon scattering for depopulation.” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 7, 17 Feb. 2003, pp. 1015-7.