The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department is one of seven academic departments in the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS). The Department is administratively divided into three research areas: Circuits & Embedded Systems, Physical & Wave Electronics, and Signals & Systems; although much of our research is multi-disciplinary and features collaborations in various fields including medicine, physics, mathematics, and theater & film.
The core leadership of the Department is led by the Department Chair, four Vice Chairs (Undergraduate Affairs, Graduate Affairs, Industrial Relations & Computer Engineering) and three Area Directors (one for each of the research areas noted above). The faculty consists of 47 ladder faculty, 14 courtesy/joint faculty, 9 adjunct faculty, 13 emeriti faculty and 9 lecturers.
Facts and Figures
Faculty Honors and Awards
National Academy of Engineering Members: 18
National Academy of Science Members: 3
Society Fellows: 49
NSF CAREER Awards: 18
Okawa Foundation Awards: 16
Past awards include:
- 2015 EE Distinguished Alumni Award – Prof. Asad Abidi.
- 2014 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor – Prof. Aydogan Ozcan.
- Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors and Eminent Member of IEEE-HKN – Distinguished Adjunct Prof. Asad M. Madni.
- Honorary Degree from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona – Prof. Tatsuo ltoh.
- IET Achievement Medal – Prof. Bahram Jalali.
- Kavli Fellow and Lot Shafai Mid-Career Distinguished Achievement Awardee – Prof. Mona Jarrahi.
- Isaac Newton Medal – Prof. Eli Yablonovich.
US News and World Report [graduate program]: 14th (2015)
QS World University Rankings: 4th (2017)
National Research Council R-Rankings [doctoral program]: 9th (2010)
Nanyang Technological University’s study on Integrated Circuits Design Research: 2nd (2008)
Microsoft Academic Search H-index over 10 yr period: 1st (May 2012)
In AY 2017-2018, 330 of 1444 applicants were admitted to the undergraduate program. In the graduate program, 497 of 1756 applicants were admitted.
In AY 2017-2018, a total of 352 degrees were conferred: BSEE (152), MSEE (170), PhD (30).
For 2014-2015, a total of $26.3M was received, including $16.5M from federal agencies and $8.3M from industry.