Sayed, Ali H.
Ali H. Sayed, Professor
Research Group: Adaptive Systems Laboratory
Office: 58-111 Engr. IV, Phone: 310.267.2142, Email
Professor Sayed was born in Brazil where he received the degrees of Engineer and MS in Electrical Engineering from the University of São Paulo, Brazil. He received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1992.
He was a Research Associate with the Information Systems Laboratory at Stanford University before joining, as an Assistant Professor, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara, in 1993. In July 1996 he joined, as an Associate Professor, the Department of Electrical Engineering at UCLA where he is currently Professor of Electrical Engineering. At UCLA he established and directs the UCLA Adaptive Systems Laboratory.
Dr. Sayed has over 400 journal and conference publications and 5 books. He is co-author of the research monograph Indefinite Quadratic Estimation and Control (SIAM, PA, 555pp, 1999) and of the graduate-level textbook Linear Estimation (Prentice Hall, NJ, 854pp, 2000). He is also the author of the textbooks Fundamentals of Adaptive Filtering (Wiley, NJ, 1168pp, 2003) and Adaptive Filters (Wiley, NJ, 786pp, 2008), and co-editor of the volume Fast Reliable Algorithms for Matrices with Structure(SIAM, PA, 342pp, 1999).
Dr. Sayed has served on the editorial boards of several journals including the SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Its Applications, the International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, the European Signal Processing journal, and the IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. He served as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (2003-2005) and the EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing(2006-2007). Dr. Sayed has contributed several articles to engineering and mathematical encyclopedias and handbooks, and has served on the program committees of several international meetings. He has also consulted with industry on different aspects of adaptive filter design, echo cancellation, channel equalization, and OFDM communications. His research group has been awarded several honors and recognitions.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2013 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow
- 2012 Technical Achievement Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2012 Best Paper Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2011 Best Student Paper Award at an international meeting
- Plenary speaker at several international meetings
- 2005 Young Author Best Paper Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2005 Frederick E. Terman Award
- 2005 Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2003 Kuwait Prize for Basic Sciences
- 2002 Best Paper Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2001 Fellow, IEEE
- 1996 IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Award
- A. H. Sayed, Adaptive Filters, Wiley, NJ, 2008.
- A. H. Sayed, Fundamentals of Adaptive Filtering, Wiley, NJ, 2003.
- T. Kailath, A. H. Sayed, and B. Hassibi, Linear Estimation, Prentice-Hall, NJ, 2000.
- T. Kailath and A. H. Sayed, editors, Fast Reliable Algorithms for Matrices with Structure, SIAM, PA, 1999.
- B. Hassibi, A. H. Sayed, and T. Kailath, Indefinite Quadratic Estimation and Control: A Unified Approach to H2 and Hoo Theories, SIAM, PA, 1999.