van der Schaar, Mihaela
Mihaela van der Schaar, Professor
Distinguished Lecturer IEEE Communications Society 2011-2012
Chancellor's Professor, 2011
Fellow, IEEE, 2010
Office: 58-109 Engr. IV, Phone: 310.825.5843, Email
Mihaela van der Schaar received her Ph.D. degree from Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, in 2001. Prior to joining the UCLA Electrical Engineering Department faculty on July 1st, 2005, she was between 1996 and June 2003 a senior researcher at Philips Research in the Netherlands and USA, where she led a team of researchers working on multimedia coding, processing, networking, and streaming algorithms and architectures. She was also Philips Research USA representative to the international ISO MPEG standards from 1999 until 2004. From January to September 2003, she was also an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Columbia University. From July 1st, 2003 until July 1st, 2005, she was an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at University of California, Davis.
Prof. van der Schaar has published widely in archival journals and conference proceedings. She is an IEEE Fellow, a Distinguished Lecturer of the Communications Society for 2011-2012, the Editor in Chief of IEEE Transactions on Multimedia and a member of the Editorial Board of the IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing.
Since 1999, she has been an active participant in the ISO Motion Picture Expert Group (MPEG) standard, to which she has made more than 50 contributions and for which she has received three ISO recognition awards. She also chaired the ad-hoc group on MPEG-21 Scalable Video Coding for three years, and co-chaired the MPEG ad-hoc group on Multimedia Test-beds. She also holds 33 granted US patents.
She is also the founding director of the UCLA Center for Engineering Economics, Learning, and Networks (see netecon.ee.ucla.edu).
Prof. van der Schaar's research interests include engineering economics and game theory, strategic design, expert and social networks, online reputation and social media, dynamic multi-user networks and system designs, wireless networks, online learning, real-time stream mining, meta-learning and multimedia networking and systems. Please visit her research website http://medianetlab.ee.ucla.edu for more information on her research.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2011-2013 Editor in Chief IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- 2011 IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Darlington Award
- 2011 Gamenets Conference Best Paper Award
- 2007 Most Cited Paper Award, EURASIP J. Signal Proc.: Image Communication
- 2006 Okawa Foundation Award
- 2006 IEEE Circuits and Systems Best Paper Award
- 2005, 2007, and 2008 IBM Faculty Awards
- 2004 NSF CAREER Award
- 2004 International Standardization Organization (ISO) Recognition Awards
- 2003 International Standardization Organization (ISO) Recognition Awards
- M. van der Schaar and P. Chou, editors, Multimedia over IP and Wireless Networks: Compression, Networking, and Systems, Academic Press, 2007.
- M. van der Schaar, D. Turaga, and T. Stockhammer, MPEG-4 Beyond Conventional Video Coding: Object Coding, Resilience and Scalability, Morgan and Claypool Publishers, 2006.