Research and Teaching Interests:
Terahertz and mid-infrared quantum cascade lasers and photonic devices, low-dimensional semiconductor materials and intersubband physics, terahertz and infrared plasmonics, waveguides, antennas
|2016||Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)|
|2012||National Science Foundation CAREER Award|
|2008||DARPA Young Faculty Award (YFA)|
• C. A. Curwen, J. L. Reno, and B. S. Williams, “Broadband continuous single-mode tuning of a short-cavity quantum-cascade VECSEL,” Nature Photonics, vol. 13, 855–859, September 23, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41566-019-0518-z
• C. A. Curwen, J. L. Reno, and B. S. Williams, “Terahertz Quantum Cascade VECSEL with Watt-Level Output Power,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 113, 011104, July 2 2018. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5033910
• A. Pan, B. A. Burnett, C.-O. Chui, and B. S. Williams, “Density Matrix Modeling of Quantum Cascade Lasers without an Artificially Localized Basis: A Generalized Scattering Approach,” Phys. Review B, vol. 96, 085308, August 15, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.96.085308
• L. Xu, D. Chen, C. A. Curwen, M. Memarian, J. L. Reno, T. Itoh, and B. S. Williams, “Metasurface quantum-cascade laser with electrically switchable polarization,” Optica, vol. 4, 468-475 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1364/OPTICA.4.000468
• L. Xu, P. W. C. Hon, C. Curwen, Q.-S. Chen, T. Itoh, and B. S. Williams, “Metasurface external cavity laser,” Applied Physics Letters, vol 107, 221105, 2015
• B. A. Burnett and B. S. Williams, “Density matrix model for polarons in a terahertz quantum dot cascade laser,” Phys. Rev. B, vol 90, 155309, 2014.
• A. A. Tavallaee, P. W. C. Hon, Q.-S. Chen, T. Itoh, and B. S. Williams, “Active terahertz quantum-cascade composite right/left-handed metamaterial,” Applied Physics Letters vol 102, 021103, January 14 2013.
• P. W. C. Hon, A. A. Tavallaee, Q.-S. Chen, B. S. Williams, and T. Itoh, “Radiation Model for Terahertz Transmission-Line Metamaterial Quantum-Cascade Lasers,” IEEE Trans. Terahertz Science and Technology vol. 2, no 3, pp. 323-332, May 2012. Winner of 2013 IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology Best Paper Award.
• Benjamin S. Williams, “Terahertz quantum cascade lasers.” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, September 2007, pp. 517-525. (review article)
• B. S. Williams, H. Callebaut, S. Kumar, Q. Hu and J. L. Reno, “3.4-THz quantum cascade laser based on longitudinal-optical-phonon scattering for depopulation.” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 7, 17 Feb. 2003, pp. 1015-7.