Research and Teaching Interests:|
Electromagnetics, antennas for space and remote sensing applications, numerical and asymptotic methods, satellite and personal communications, Cubsats and Smallsats, human/antenna interactions, RFID and implanted antennas in medical applications, frequency selective surfaces, electromagnetic band-gap and meta-material structures, measurement and diagnostics techniques, applications of the genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimizations in electromagnetics
|Awards and Recognitions|
Ellis Island Medal of Honor
|2019||1st Place – Student Paper Award, 2019 North America Radio Science Meeting (URSI), Boulder, J. Budha and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “A New 3D Printed Electronically Scanned Spinning Spot Beam Inhomogeneous Dielectric Lens Antenna for Spaceborne Wind Scatterometer Weather Radar Satellites”|
|2017||ACES Computational Electromagnetics Award, the highest award of this society|
|2017||IEEE Antennas and Propagation S. A. Schelkunoff Best Transactions Paper Award|
|2016||John Kraus Antenna Award of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society|
|2016||NASA Group Achievement|
|2015||Distinguished Engineering Educator Award from The Los Angeles Engineer’s Council|
|2013||Fellow, Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society|
|2012||NASA Group Achievement Award .For exceptional contributions to the Juno Step 1 and Step 2 exemplary winning proposal efforts leading to the start of mission developments|
|2012||Ernest K. Smith USNC-URSI, 2nd Best Student Paper Prize Award T. Brockett and Y. Rahmat-Samii, .A New Paradigm in Solar Energy Harvesting: Characterization of High Absorption Nanopilar Array Photovoltaics|
|2012||2nd Place – Student Paper Award, 2012 North America Radio Science Meeting (URSI), Boulder, CO T. Brockett, H. Rajagopalan, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “A New Paradigm in Solar Energy Harvesting: Characterization of High Absorption Nanopillar Array Photovoltaics,” URSI National Radio Science Meeting, U. Colorado at Boulder, January 3-6, 2012|
|2011||IEEE Technical Field Awards and Medal in Electromagnetics .for fundamental contributions to reflector antennas, near-field measurements and diagnostics, antenna and human interactions, and optimization algorithms in electromagnetics..|
|2011||UCLA Academic Senate.s Distinguished Teaching Award|
|2010||UCLA School of Engineering and Applied Science Lockheed Martin Excellence in Teaching Award|
|2009-2011||Elected President of US National Committee of URSI (International Union of Radio Science)|
|2009||IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Distinguished Achievement Award, .For pioneering contributions to the design, optimization and measurement of modern ground and space-borne reflector antennas and antennas for handheld communication devices..|
|2008||National Academy of Engineering|
|2007||Fellow of Antenna Measurement Techniques Association, .For outstanding and pioneering contributions to the theory, practice and art of antenna and RF measurements. Throughout your career you have exemplified and promoted the goals and objectives of the antenna measurement techniques association. 2007 IEEE Chen-To Tai Distinguished Educator Award for his .significant contributions to electromagnetics education and for inspiring new methodologies for the design, analysis and measurement of complex antenna systems|
|2007-2010||IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for Antennas and Propagation Society|
|2006||NASA Board Award, For the creative development of a scientific contribution which has been determined to be significant value in the advancement of the space and aeronautical activities of NASA and is entitled: Fan Beam Patterns Radiated from a Parabolic Reflector Antenna|
|2005||International Union of Radio Science Booker Gold Medal for his .contributions to reflector antenna design and practice, near-field measurements and diagnostic techniques, handheld antennas and human interactions, genetic algorithms in electromagnetics, and the spectral theory of diffraction|
|2002||JPL/NASA Award of Exceptional Technical Excellence for his, .Advanced and /second Generation Precipitation Radar Technology Development|
|2001||Elected Foreign Member of The Royal Flemish Academy of Science and the Arts|
|2000||Honorary Doctorate Causa from the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain|
|2000||IEEE Third Millennium Medal for his, .Outstanding achievements and contributions|
|2000||AMTA Distinguished Achievement Award, .who throughout his career exemplified and promotes the goals and objectives of AMTA. The AMTA herby cites Professor Yahya Rahmat-Samii: (a) For his creative development and application of Plane-polar and Bi-polar near field measurement techniques, (b) For his major contributions in the utilization of microwave holography diagnostic and phaseless measurements of reflector and array antennas, (c) For his prolific publications in diverse area of antennas fro personal, satellite, radar and radio astronomical applications, electromagnetic theory, optimization and computational techniques, and measurements and diagnostics, (d) For his excellence and enthusiasm in educating vast number of engineers and researchers worldwide, (e) For his dedication and services to the AMTA|
|1999||ECE University of Illinois Urbana-Urbana Distinguished Alumnus Award, for his, .pioneering research activities, outstanding teaching and service to the IEEE, and a prolific publication records in the fields of applied and theoretical electromagnetics|
|1995||Elected President of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society|
|1994||IEEE AP-S Harold A. Wheeler Best Applications Prize Paper Award, “On the Reflectivity of Complex Mesh Surfaces,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation vol. AP-39, no. 7, pp. 1352-1365, September, 1991|
|1991||IEEE AP-S Harold A. Wheeler Best Applications Prize Paper Award, “The Bi-Polar Planar Near- filed Measurement Technique Part I: Implementation and Measurement Comparisons,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 184-195, February 1994|
|1988||NASA Group Achievement Award, .In recognition of the team.s outstanding achievement in the development, implementation, testing and transfer of mobile satellite communications technology|
|1985||IEEE Fellow, Contributions to reflector antennas, near-field measurement techniques, and high frequency electromagnetic diffraction|
IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for Antennas and Propagation Society
- M. A. Jensen and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “EM Interaction of Handset antennas and a Human in Personal Communications,” Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 41472, January 1995.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, L. I. Williams and R. G. Yaccarino, “The UCLA Bi-Polar Planar Near Field Antenna Measurement and Diagnostics Range,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 16-35, December 1995.
- D. W. Duan and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “A Generalized Diffraction Synthesis Technique for High Performance Reflector Antennas,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 27-40, January 1995.
- J. Gianvittorio and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Fractal antennas: a novel antenna miniaturization technique and applications,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 20-36, February 2002.
- F. Yang and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Microstrip Antennas Integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) Structures: a Low Mutual Coupling Design for Array Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2936-2946, October 2003.
- J. Robinson and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Particle Swarm Optimization in Electromagnetics,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. , February 2004.
- J. Kim and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Implanted Antennas inside a Human Body: Simulations, Designs and Characterizations,” IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 52, no. , pp. 1934-1943, August 2004.
- N. Jin and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Parallel particle swarm optimization and finite-difference time-domain (PSO/FDTD) algorithm for multiband and wide-band patch antenna designs,” IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 3459-3468, November 2005.
- N. Jin and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Advances in Particle Swarm Optimization for Antenna Designs: Real- Number, Binary, Single-Objective and Multiobjective Implementations,” IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 556-567, March 2007.
- T. Brockett and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “A novel portable bipolar near-field measurement system for millimeter-wave antennas: construction, development, and verification,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 121-130, October 2008.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, J. Guterman, A. A. Moreira and C. Peixeiro, “Integrated Antennas for Wireless Personal Communications,” in Modern Antenna Handbook, eds. C. A. Balanis, pp.1079- 1142, Wiley, 2008.
- H. Rajagopalan, Y. Rahmat-Samii, and W. A. Imbriale, “RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflectarray patch-slot element,”IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 3689-3699, December 2008.
- • F. Yang. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- H. Rajagopalan, P. Izdebski, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Antennas in Medicine: Ingestible Capsule Antennas,” in Frontiers in Antennas, Next Generation Design and Engineering, eds. F. B. Gross, pp.305-338, McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, J. M. Kovitz, and H. Rajagopalan, “Nature-Inspired Optimization Techniques in Communication Antenna Designs,” Proceedings of the IEEE , vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 2132-2144, July 2012.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, “GTD, UTD, UAT, and STD: A Historical Revisit and Personal Observations,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 29-40, May 2013.
- S. Rao, N. Llombart, E. Moradi, K. Koski, T. Bjorninen, L. Sydanheimo, J. Rabaey, J. Carmena, Y. Rahmat-Samii, and L. Ukkonen,“Miniature implantable and wearable on-body antennas: towards the new era of wireless body-centric systems [antenna applications corner],” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 271-291, February 2014.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii and A.C. Densmore, “Technology Trends and Challenges of Antennas for Satellite Communication Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1191 – 1204, November 2014.
- R.L Haupt and Y. Rahmat-Samii., “Antenna Array Developments: A Perspective on the Past, Present and Future,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 86-96, February 2015.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii and R. Haupt, “Reflector Antenna Developments: A Perspective on the Past, Present and Future,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 85-95, April 2015.
- J. M. Kovitz and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Novelties of Spectral Domain Analysis in Antenna Characterizations: Concept, Formulation, and Applications,” in Advanced Computational Electromagnetics Methods and Applications, pp.1-82, Artech House, 2015.
- Wenhua Yu, Wenxing Li, Atef Elsherbeni, Yahya Rahmat-Samii, Advanced Computational Electromagnetic Methods and Applications, Artech House, 2015.
- H. Rajagopalan and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Electromagnetics of Body Area Networks: Antennas, Propagation, and RF Systems,” inElectromagnetics of Body Area Networks: Antennas, Propagation, and RF Systems, eds. D. H. Werner, Z. H. Jiang, pp.87-129, Artech House, 2016.
- L. Ukkonen and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Embroidered Textile Antennas for Body-Centric Wireless Identification and Sensing Devices,” inHandbook of Antenna Technologies, eds. Z. N. Chen, Springer Science and Business Media, 2016.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, V. Manohar and J.M. Kovitz, “For Satellites, Think Small, Dream Big: A review of recent antenna developments for CubeSats,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 22-30, February 2017.
- L. Song and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “An End-to-End Implanted Brain–Machine Interface Antenna System Performance Characterizations and Development,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 3399-3408, July 2017.
- J.M. Kovitz , J. P. Santos , Y. Rahmat-Samii, N.F. Chamberlain and R.E. Hodges, “Enhancing Communications for Future Mars Rovers: Using high-performance circularly polarized patch subarrays for a dual-band direct-to-Earth link,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 50-61, August 2017.
- M. Veysi, C. Guclu, F. Capolino, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Revisiting Orbital Angular Momentum Beams: Fundamentals, Reflectarray Generation, and Novel Antenna Applications,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine , vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 68-81, May 2018.
- S. Gao, Y. Rahmat-Samii, Richard E. Hodges and Xue-Xia Yang, "Advanced Antennas for Small Satellites," Proceedings of the IEEE , vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 391 – 403, March 2018.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, V. Manohar and J.M. Kovitz, “Novel antenna concepts and developments for CubeSats,” in Developments in Antenna Analysis and Design: Volume 2, eds. Raj Mittra IET, 2018.
- A. Afsari, A. M. Abbosh, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Modified Born Iterative Method in Medical Electromagnetic Tomography Using Magnetic Field Fluctuation Contrast Source Operator,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 454 – 463, January 2019.